Fund-raising is an essential part of membership in HAN. There will be a variety of fund-raising activities/events taking place throughout the year. Dates for these will be given well in advance. Competitive members are required to participate in all fund-raising activities/events and must meet a minimum fund-raising commitment. Those who exceed this commitment may qualify for a refund at the end of the season. Non-competitive members are strongly encouraged to participate in the mandatory competitive fund-raising activities/events. The funds raised during these mandatory fund-raising activities help reduce the cost of both competitive and non-competitive programs.
The primary focus of our fund-raising is to keep our fees as low as possible. In addition, funds raised go towards:
- Helping our athletes attend the Atlantic Championships/National Meets (any ‘away’ Meets)
- The purchase of equipment (eg. Sound systems)
- Paying our coaches for their time at Meets and travel costs for Meets outside HRM
HAN participates in a number of specific fund-raising activities, including but not limited to:
- Kinsmen TV Bingo – Eastlink - monthly
- Centennial Pool Special Event Parking Attendants
- Pizza Delight pizza sales
- Raffle or candy sales
- Grocery Bagging
All competitive swimmers/families must fulfill the Kinsmen Bingo requirement. This is HANs most profitable fund-raiser and we need the help of all families to keep it going. Once a month, on a Thursday evening, we provide three people to answer the phones during the airing of the TV Bingo, and the Club receives $300. All competitive swimmers must provide someone over the age of 16 to work at least three Bingos over the course of the year (this can be three people on one date).
HAN also participates in raising funds through the Centennial Pool’s Parking attendance when there are special events at the Halifax Metro Center. Competitive members must participate at least three to five times during the year. Recreational members are strongly encouraged to participate in this once for each session in which they are registered. This means three parking attendance sessions for those registered for the full year. Some of the other fund-raising activities/events that take place will also have requirements, which you will be informed about.
- Swimmers who surpass their fund-raising requirement may be eligible to receive monetary credit(s) to their personal accounts. Other ways in which to meet/fulfill your fund-raising requirements and/or receive fund-raising credits are by:
- Working additional Bingos (beyond the required three for competitive swimmers)
- Sitting on the club’s Board of Directors
- Organizing a Meet (Meet Manager)
- Supervising/Organizing a fund-raising event
- Sitting on the Centennial Pool Board